Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Meet the Artist: Photos by Chrissie White

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2671/3879092740_3188a54420.jpg

I was zooming along my merry web browsing way and came across the work of Chrissie White at All the Mountains. It was like all that clicking and loading links had been to see these completely amazing photos.

The best part is that these emotional deep photos had been shot by a young female photographer, and I mean really young, she's only sixteen. I'm not one to be hung up on age, but she brings such a breath of freshness to the photographic image that at her very young age it's so exciting! Her work is more mature and better than certain MFA students I went to school with, and I think any other person who has gone to art school or not would agree! So I sent off an email telling her I loved her work and would love to interview her. I'm the lucky you and so are you because she's ready to talk about her work, passion, and even offer the rest us some advice on how to take better photos. Yeah!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3658/3418869059_8edec28866.jpg

 

Meet Chrissie White

http://www.seattlepi.com/dayart/20081215/450white_0057mu_camera_12-15-2008_O42ES61.jpg

{Chrissie White, age 15}

As I'm putting this post together, I'm also learning more about Chrissie. It seems that I'm not the only person that had noticed the quality of her work and the gift of her talent. The Seattle Pi ran an interview with her last year that was not only focused on her talent, but her enormous web following at Flickr.

 

The Interview

 

Moderngirllogomini1. Was there a certain moment when you realized that you wanted to be a photographer? If not, what got you started on your path?

I can't remember a particular moment, however throughout the year that I was 13 I explored photography a lot and went through a phase of really admiring the art. I think from there I really decided I wanted to do this art form with some sort of determination. I used to take a lot of pictures and it was very enjoyable. Now photography makes me a bit sad, it's really a shame. I have found in myself, and in other photographers, that the more accomplished you become the harder it is to take a picture that you really like.

I think personal standards are set very high once people start to notice your art. It makes it harder to take photos and say to yourself " I like this photo a lot" because you really worry what other people will think. sometimes I wish to delete all my prior work and start out new, very quietly and privately. I would like to take at least a years worth of photos and keep them completely private to see if it makes any difference in how I feel.

Moderngirllogomini2. What inspires your vision? Have you had any mentors to help you along your way? What photographers, designers, or artists would you love to meet?

I'm inspired by a lot of things, usually I just see an object, or a place and I visualize a scene which could take place incorporating that. However, I am into more spontaneous and candid photos lately. I always have a vision of what I want the picture to turn out like, so I compose accordingly.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2593/3842214698_5f6eb2d9bf.jpg

It is such a shame when you miss a good photographic moment! that is the big problem with candid photos. I have not really had any "mentors", however my friends are great for brainstorming ideas with. I like meeting any photographers, it is always fun to be nerdy and talk photography with them.

Moderngirllogomini3.  I should say that I really love that picture you did of a young girl floating over a bed.


http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3007/2801969142_a96e4cfc44.jpg

How did you make that picture? How much post-processing work do you do on images? What programs do you use, like Photoshop, et cetra, and how did you learn these programs?

Well a friend and I did a small series while we were in Maine on peter pan (however none of the other photos were released) and we were inspired by the bedroom in which the picture was taken in. Many people think it was all photoshopped. However, there was no photoshop involved in the "levitation," we came up with a plan to just jump off the bed post and form that position with the body. There was a speedlight placed outside the window for the "glowy" effect. I used to do a lot of post-processing back when I did more conceptual images. However recently I am working on more of a "realism" approach to photography and usually only do tonal editing work.  I use photoshop cs3, I learned it by just playing around with it for a few weeks and reading tutorials online. I still don't know that much about it though!

 

Moderngirllogomini4. What advice can you give to newbie photographers, young or old, on taking better pictures or working with models to family members?

Take pictures that you agree with, and always give yourself ways to improve. You should try to stay away from cliche's and really focus on your composition and lighting in the picture.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3442/3995934514_53dcf97862.jpg

Both family members and models should be treated with the same respect, You can boss your family around a bit more however they will not want to take pictures with you if you do not make it enjoyable for them. It is also good if you listen to any ideas that they have to contribute because often they can inspire you.

 

Moderngirllogomini5. What is your favorite photograph taken by someone other than yourself?

I have many! but two of my recent favorites are from flickr: Heyday and Tailakova

Cwhitepicks
 
Cwhitepicks2

Both photos have a certain sadness and tiredness to them without being too obvious, it's very real.

{I think that this influence can be found in this next photo taken by Chrissie. Isn't it lovely?}

Chrissiewhite



ModerngirllogominiBonus Question: What would be your dream photo shoot? What celebrity or person would you want in the shot and where would it be?

I don't have a dream photoshoot! I would really like to take people off the street one day and have them model in a fashion shoot with real fashion models. I think it would be interesting to see the comparison between the two groups.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_70Inj1ZGMvE/SWT5WToYpoI/AAAAAAAAE3o/p6FlshwjLUQ/s400/chrissie_white_04.jpg

Hail the young poetess, Chrissie! What a stellar start to a long photographic career! My only advice to Chrissie is to keep listening to the beat of her own drum, which I believe she won't have any trouble doing. Let's follow her beat through a few more photos! Still want more? I found another great interview at Art n Light. Thanks to Chrissie for stopping by!!!

http://indierocket.com/flickr_428.jpg

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/4a9314b5e7b0fe9f672cde064533b3e9bf963771_m.jpg

http://cmcdn.net/3633744/475x634.jpeg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg_dW_xzm1_mziE8IhC5uUR_w1JlEINqpmXFpCJEmSADs3v2moRCGxh8-6Er3EuqgEM8OLqm2mB4a7NDqowbzXbkbeWf4p8xcONrYuZB7qZ15_F94d6ZodvgA9xPCuocqRsOPsrwCqo-HIq/s400/2264432328_d045c6fbf9.jpg

http://condense.fr/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cherry-blossom1.jpg

 

No comments: